Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thankful for Family

This week I got to be a mother of five … and it was an interesting experience. My parents went to Italy for Thanksgiving break so they flew me home to babysit my siblings for the week. It really was a lot of fun, but also I a lot of work! I noticed that there are lots of little things that my mom usually does that I don’t usually notice, and I now had to do them – like making sure everyone brushed their teeth and figuring out meals three times a day. It makes me really appreciate all that my mom does.

It was even more difficult to figure out meals with it being Thanksgiving! Good thing my siblings are young and easy to please because I do not know how to make a turkey (or really cook at all) …. So we had chicken nuggets and they were just as happy! I was worried it wouldn’t really feel like Thanksgiving with a chicken nugget dinner, but we were able to make it feel like Thanksgiving in our own little way. It truly is the spirit of the holiday that counts.

So I guess what I learned this week is that I am so grateful for my family. With my parents being gone, it was a lot more work around the house, and we all missed having them there on Thanksgiving. But I am also grateful for my siblings and how they make the best of things and still have tons of fun. I am so grateful for all of them, especially during this Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Because family makes the holidays better! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is crazy that your parents took off and left you there to fend for yourself! Good job though, it sounds like you still had a good time. Parents are really awesome and do a lot, but often times you don't recognize it until you don't have them there. I remember when I went to college and had to do my own laundry and make my own food. It was kinda intimidating at first and I didn't know what to do. I gained a lot of respect for my Mom and Dad and all that they did while we were growing up. I, like you, am very grateful for my family and my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute family! and Good for you, to take over for your parents for a week! Awesome that they got to go to Italy!! Even more awesome that they could be comfortable leaving you with your little siblings - it is a great blessing to have kids you can count on! Way to go, Mom & Dad!!

    ReplyDelete