Saturday, November 1, 2014

Becoming a Better Listener

Boise State v. BYU
This past weekend I went to Boise, Idaho, to watch the Boise State v. BYU game. I have a lot of extended family in Boise and it was nice to get to see a lot of them. While I was there, I visited one of my cousins who is about a year and a half older than me and she is married with a baby on the way. We don’t have that much in common, so I was surprised by how much time we spent together on that short vacation. Mostly I just listened to her but I feel that that is sometimes one of the best ways to get closer to someone. 

My mom always tells me how important it is to be a good listener. She says that really listening to someone can help people feel important and loved and it really helps strengthen your relationship. And that is something that sticks with a person. There is a quote that I love that says:

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”― Maya Angelou

This is such a true statement. Looking back on my life, I don’t really remember specific things that people said or did, but I always remember how they made me feel. That is why I think listening to people is so important. When you really listen to them, you get to know them better and they feel important and loved.

All of the things we’ve learned about in Mcom about reflective listening are just as important in everyday life situations as they are in business situations. When you truly listen to someone, it really helps strengthen your relationship and people will remember that you cared enough so listen. And so that is why I really want to work on becoming a better listener.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that you were able to apply a principle we learned in class to real life. I think we sometimes forget that everyone is going through something and that being a good listener is just as important as being a good speaker. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that listening is so important. I love it when people actually care about me enough to ask me questions and listen to what I have to say. Because of this I always try to get to know people and ask them a lot of questions. One thing that I like to do is ask people really deep questions and see how they answer. Forget the "what is your major?" or "what is your favorite color?", but more like "what is one quality about you that makes you different?" or "How would you describe your best quality?" It often catches people off-guard and they don't really know how to answer, but once they think about it, usually you get a really deep answer.

    ReplyDelete