This past week, I got a new calling to be in the Relief
Society presidency. I’ve only had this calling for a few days, but I’ve already
spend multiple hours in meetings trying to get everything set up. It’s already
been a lot of work and I have been feeling a little overwhelmed … I have no
idea what I am doing! This is an especially big change from my calling last
year where all I had to do was post a spiritual thought on the ward blog that
no one ever read. (That was actually my first blog so hopefully my second will
go a little better!)
I don’t know if it was because of my Mcom class or not, but
the thing I kept coming back to that would have helped me the most was if I had
been better at communicating. It is hard to determine visiting teaching pairs
or callings for people when you don’t really know the people you are trying to
organize. I found myself constantly wishing that I had been better at getting
around and introducing myself to the other sisters in my ward. Granted, I did
not know I was going to have this calling while I was at these ward functions,
but if I had been better at making communication a more integral part of my
life then these past few days might not have been as stressful as they were.
So my goal this next semester is to really try and master my
communication skills, both for the sake of my calling and my professional life.
To be honest, communication really is one of the most essential things in life
because it determines all you’re your interactions with everyone around you. I
really love how in class we have discussed how communication is so much more
than just what we are saying – it is everything about you! Communication
includes your dress, manners, and expressions, as well as what is actually
coming out of your mouth.
However, I know that this communication stuff is going to
really push me outside of my comfort zone. I’m not usually one to just go up
and start a conversation with someone and that is exactly what I am going to
have to get better at. I’m really hoping that I will get better and I know that
this will be a great skill for me to improve on!
Valerie,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your blog post, it has helped me better understand my role in my brand new ward and how i can be a better member of that ward. I hope that i can follow your example and choose to go out of my comfort zone and get to know the members of my new ward. I also am going to add an about me section to my blog because i saw it one yours. Good luck in your new calling!
I completely agree that communication is key in any calling in the church, especially in Relief Society. I feel that it is also one of the best places to learn communication. There are few other times in your life that you will have the assistance of the Spirit as you learn names, visit with and pray about the women in your care. It is amazing how fast you can learn with the Spirit as your teacher. I also agree with Josephs comment and hope that I can be a more active participant in my new ward and support my new leaders. Good luck in your new calling!
ReplyDeleteCommunication is so important in everything we do. The more you work at it, the better you will get at it. Keep trying and all will fall into place.
ReplyDelete