Saturday, October 11, 2014

Teaching the Right Way

Tomorrow in Relief Society, I am teaching the lesson, and so this past week I’ve been thinking a lot about what I am going to say. It’s amazing how when you are thinking about something, like a lesson, that everything seems to connect back to that. Whether I was listening to conference, or in my D&C class, or even just talking to my mom, everything seemed to connect back to what I am teaching about.

But one of the most helpful things I learned this week was not actually about my topic, but rather how I should teach my topic. It comes from D&C 43:8.

8 And now, behold, I give unto you a commandment, that when ye are assembled together ye shall instruct and edify each other, that ye may know how to act and direct my church, how to act upon the points of my law and commandments, which I have given.

In my D&C class, we discussed how the three most important components of teaching are to instruct, to edify, and to inspire to act. This past week, I have been worrying only about the instruct part of teaching, which is important, but it’s not the only part of teaching. I realize that I also need to try to edify and inspire them to act. It has helped me to focus how I teach my lesson, but also has helped me to get more out of my studying. I have learned a lot more from thinking about my lesson in this way instead of focusing only on the instruction.


I still have to finalize what I am going to say, but now I know that I also need to aim to edify and inspire the Relief Society too. If I want to have a good lesson, I need to have all three of these components. And it is amazing how we had this lesson in D&C right before I have to teach. It must truly be inspired! 

1 comment:

  1. Before our first child was born, someone told me to "look into the eyes of your child every day." For a long time, I thought that was a strange thing to say, but as time went on, I learned that I could tell a lot about what was going on in his little head when I looked him in the eye. That can also apply to your lesson in RS - don't just read the lesson to your audience, look up; look them in the eye & see how they are receiving what you are teaching! Good luck - you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete